I have the pleasure of teaching sales to SMEs through the Business Growth Hub in Manchester. I say pleasure as I really enjoy exploring the subject and helping others to engage with ‘sales’. For me it’s an area that has been misaligned and conjures far too many negative connotations and images, especially around the salesperson.
Without sales, companies wouldn’t operate and will not achieve success. Yet far too few people would proudly admit to being a ‘sales person’. When I started in my sales role I was called a sales executive on my business card. Anyone can print a card and call themselves a whole manner of different titles but what would qualify someone to be called a sales executive?
For this, I particularly like Mark Cuban’s take on the matter from his great little book How to Win at the Sport of Business. As the billionaire owner of the Dallas Mavericks and other business ventures, Mark knows a thing or two about selling. He offers the following view on what makes a good salesperson:
‘Let me be clear that it’s not the person who can talk someone into anything. It’s not the hustler who is a smooth talker.
· The best salespeople are the ones who put themselves in their customer’s shoes and provide a solution that makes the customer happy.
· The best salesperson is the one the customer trusts and never has to question.
· The best salesperson is the one who knows that with every cold call made, he is closer to helping someone.
· The best salesperson is the one who takes immense satisfaction from the satisfaction her customer gets.
· The best salesperson is the one who wakes up early every morning excited to come to the office, get on the phone and let people know exactly why he loves his product, job and clients.’
Mark proves the point that the best advice is normally simple. For a good salesperson to operate he or she must be focussed on delivering sales in line with a sales strategy for the business. [If you do not have (or need to update) your business strategy we’ve several posts on how to create and action plans and loads of resources in our online library].
My colleagues and I are highly experienced at compiling effective sales strategies and delivering sales training to support growth. Give me (Andrew) a call on 0161 280 4567 and I’ll share how to advance a successful sales team within your business.